I take my seat at the graduation ceremony after rushing around trying to find a toilet. I squeeze past people through the narrow aisle and sit down. I… Read more “Life after University”
August. It’s a new month like the smell of mouthwash breath. Fresh. Here are a few goals and improvements I’m working on for this month. Keep my… Read more “August”
The amazing touching movie, Perks of Being a Wallflower is better than the “perks” of being a human at times. Why? Because we get sick, ill, and sore. Since moving to… Read more “Perks of Being a Human”
U.N.I is a wonderful song by Ed Sheeran, it means you and I. Or in this case University. It seems like a year ago I was just starting. young and eager. I for one didn’t really know what I was getting myself into. No one tells you how to act or what to do at University. These words of advice are for first years or any students who have lost the spark in their eyes.
This is the most important one. Social life is a big thing for Uni kids, screaming down the streets at 3am. These kids know how to party.
- Go to O week (orientation) the only time where dressing up in bed sheets is acceptable There are also lovely people around Massey who often hand out free redbull or food, and make first year students feel at home.
- Flatwarmings: this is how you will meet people. If you already have your group of friends well step outside the comfort zone and slap butter on yourself, and go socialize
- SAY YES. If you get invited and have nothing else to do, GO. People get sick and tired of asking people who always say no. Sometimes you’ve got to have twenty seconds of courage, let your hair loose like a goose and dance the night away. No need for alcohol you can have fun without it.
- SAY NO. If you have an exam the next day.
- If you’re more on the quiet side, there are sooo many cool quirky places to chill and have some relaxed cocktails.. Southern Cross is personally my favourite, jenga, lanterns. Enough said. Or The Library bar you can read books whilst chilling out.
- If you aren’t 18 yet don’t worry your time will come. Hang on to the threads of innocence you have left.
Study something you ENJOY
Passion fruit is great, so is studying something you’re passionate about. What you do for study should bring you goosebumps, and bundles of joy. I would overhear way to many students going “I hate this already, at least my parents are paying.” and it was only the first day! They sound spoilt and ungrateful. Regardless of who is paying for your education enjoy it. Your love of the subject will reflect in your work.. compared to someone who is just wanting to pass. Cherish what you learn and go in with an open mind.
Study FIRST party LATER
Yes it sounds silly, and I’m sure I missed out on some events because I was studying for exams sitting in my cave knitting. If you don’t study for exams you will not be ok. YOLO? You only live once is not an excuse to do foolish things. You’re not going to get far if you YOLO your way through education. There are distractions, and memory loss, so write down what you want to get done that evening or day. Tick it off. If you don’t get it done there’s always tomorrow. Once you’ve done it though it’s out of the way. Then you can go do what ever you want to do for the rest of the day with the feeling of accomplishment on your shoulder.
Apply for SCHOLARSHIPS
These will be your best friend I’m telling you now. Send off immaculate applications for as many scholarships as you can! BreakOut seems like a good site with thousands of ones to apply for (it costs a bit to use though) Look on your University website, it takes awhile years to scroll through the scholarships. Or your University website wil have lots of opportunity as well. Winning one is a great feeling it really is. I was really happy receiving one it helped a lot.
GO to your lectures:
Each lecture, tutorial, workshop, class all costs money. If you think you’re going to get a good education by looking at lecture notes online instead of attending them. You may as well have just stayed at home watching re runs of Malcom in the Middle. I’m going to try and get to classes. Say what you wish, I’ll be the one grinning from ear to ear when I graduate. So if you’re friends tempt you to skip class because they want to go to a garage sale down the road walk away dramatically. Your mind needs to be filled with knowledge instead of your wardbrobe being filled with clothes.
P.S don’t raise your hand in lectures: This is is grown up world where you get to yell out answers and get a few laughs if you’re answer is wrong. You will get asked questions if you look half awake so be ready. Yell out your answer loud and proud even if you’re completely wrong.
Turn OFF your phone
I am guilty of texting many times last year thinking no one could see me or the teacher. Wrong. Today was my first day back at Uni and I saw girls texting in class. You’re here to learn not text. Not only is it rude, but it’s a distraction.Unless it’s urgent such as the food falling from the sky you have no reason to pick up your phone. Turn it off.
Get enough SLEEP
You went out last night and fell asleep in a lecture? That’s your problem. Taking photo’s of friends sleeping in lectures is priceless. Until it’s you who’s in a photo drooling away. Don’t be the person who makes the lecturer feel like they’re boring you to sleep. I fail at sleeping I really do. I block out noise with headphones and music each night. Slowly try to get earlier nights. If you can’t do this then nanna naps will become your best friend. Alas sleep is the best recovery for all things. How ironic I’m finishing this post off at 12am.
Go to a DOCTOR
I need a doctor, doctor to bring me back to life No not Dr Dre, an actual Doctor to prevent sickness. I have Vitamins to take to prevent me getting sick, yet I would only take them if I was under the weather. Ironic. There are lovely nurses and doctors at the University for a reason, to help you get better and hand out free condoms. Having a card where you get points on it makes the trip to the Pharmacy rather thrilling.
Look presentable but don’t over do it
Most people are either sleep deprived or just don’t bother noticing what lipstick you put on today. I wasted time with make up and trying to look nice. I would be at least 5 minutes late to some of my lectures. Why be late for vanity? Life is a catwalk yes. Sure you want to look good in public, but you could turn up in your fat pants or in your PJ’s and no one would care. There are days I feel like putting on make up but most days I don’t I chuck on my beanie to hide my horrible hair days. Natural is the new craze don’t you know? Oh and having a signature smell is a must. The people who wear beautiful perfume fill the lecture room with the sounds of birds and the sweet scent of roses blooming.
- No to loose refill: I cannot stress what a waste of time it is buying a folder, refill, taking notes. Then having the little holes on the pages break where it should connect to the folder. Pages get crinkled.
- Just buy books. My friends 1B5 and 2B5are great. Especially avoid those annoying notebooks with the weird round things on the side that holds the pages together. They break and you can’t fix it.. They will break your heart.
- Post it notes: They’re your best friends. My wall was covered in them for exams last year. They help sooo much.
- Pens. Mine always magically disappear so you can never have enough pens.
- Highlighters: I probably highlight everything on the page. Different colours = more fun.
- Textbooks are hardly used depending on the subject. If you really do need them try get them second hand because they’re so expensive! I would go to the library, and take notes from one of the textbooks I couldn’t be bothered buying. It was a good challenge because I could only get it out for an hour.
You can balance a personal life with study life. Friends, and relationships. If you all have something going for yourselves so you aren’t waiting around for other people to be free. If you’re stressed about your personal life simply relax. Have a bath, read a magazine. Take. A. Break. Or have a nice hot steamy shower, the ones you never want to get out.. When things get tough remember how far you’ve come and how far you shall go. Let no one get in the way if your education. If you keep failing try a new method of study or approach to life. Be spontaneous and things that make you happy. You can’t except change if you keep doing the same thing.
Don’t freak out about your future
Yes you want to be thinking about your future. But a career isn’t the thing you’re focusing on whilst studying, enjoying your study is the main thing.
A Degree, Diploma, Bachelor, or whatever you gain isn’t going to get you a job straight away so don’t be disappointed. I have a Diploma in Journalism but it feels pointless if I don’t get more experience. I came to University to learn about different types of writing because I love it. Focus on gaining experience whilst studying, internships, volunteer work for your field of work. Then you meet great people, and learn things. After you finish your studies you aren’t stuck wondering what to do with your life. Ride elephants. Live life. Try to just enjoy the ride. Absorb everything you learn like a loving sponge. Happy studies everyone!
There is a time in a persons life when they must let go of the Peter Pan dream and grow up. I have never quite grasped the… Read more “Friends, Food, Future”